Search The Sports Czar

Monday, July 18, 2011

Chad's Summer Movie Diary Part 1

Posted by Chad Underwood On 1:18 PM 0 comments

   I am fully aware the name of the blog is "Chad's SportsWorld", but just like any other person in this world, I do surprisingly have some other interests. Three of my very good friends are movie fanatics; Not a day goes by that they do not watch a movie. I always feel like I am behind in the sense that I do not know "principals of cinematography" or "certain metaphors the director was trying to get across to the audience" or whatever the heck they are saying.
   Now this question can be posed: Do they make you feel stupid? Honestly: sometimes yes. I need explanation for certain characteristics of film and they are willing to explain. I never feel stupid for long though because I can always bring up sports and watch the jaws drop as I rattle off the entire roster of the 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers.
   So take this for what it is: A diary of the movies I have seen this summer and analysis through the eyes of someone who is definitely not an expert. Comment if you wish, but this is strictly an opinion, just like every post in the history of the site. Enjoy.
 
   WARNING: If you want an opinion on Transformers 3, just go somewhere else. You will not get it here.







   Bridesmaids-
     This movie kicked off the summer for me and I loved it. Kristen Wiig stars as a broke jewelry store worker named Annie who has to watch her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) get married and be happy while she is miserable. To only make matters worse, she begins to compete with another close friend of Lillian's named Helen, (Rose Byrne) who's jealousy of Annie allows the movie to reach some serious levels of hilariousness. In one scene, the ladies that are a part of the wedding are all flying to Las Vegas for a bachelorette party. I began to fear: "Please do not turn into a "The Hangover" (2009) for women." Luckily, it was not that at all.
   Bottomline: I tried hard to find something I did not like about this movie but I could not find anything that made it that bad. Supporting cast really helped make this one funny.


Recieves a 897/1000 on the Chazney Scale of Film. 








SUPER 8-
   Oh man. This movie intrigued me right off the bat because it was filmed in my hometown. (My mom went to the school featured in the movie). I saw the midnight premiere, then saw it in IMAX eleven hours later. The IMAX experience was much better and I really enjoyed it.
   This movie is directed by one of my favorites (J.J. Abrams) and he once again captured my attention. The movie begins with a boy named Joe who loses his mother to an accident in a steel mill. He begins making a movie with a Super 8mm camera with his friends and they sneak out at night to film a scene at a train station. While filming, the train crashes and sets in motion what I believe to be the best movie of the summer.
   I only had one complaint: We are introduced to this devastation (Mother's death) early on and then we do not really pick it back up until the very, very end of the movie. Besides that, I freaking loved the visuals and what this movie had to offer.
 
 Receives a  964/1000 on the Chazney Scale of Film






Fast Five-
   This movie is the fifth and certainly not the last installment of the "Fast and Furious" series. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker return along with every person who has been in a Fast and Furious movie ever to create one of the most ridiculous movies I have seen in a very long time.
   Honestly, the only reason I went to see this movie is because my girlfriend Stephanie is obsessed with the idea of them. For instance, here is the conversation we had driving home from the movie:

Stephanie: DRIVE FASTER! I NEED YOU TO SPEED!


Chad: ...What?


Stephanie: Pull up to the line and race that Acura!


Chad: Sweetie, we are in a Ford Focus.


   Ten minutes after this her sugar/Fast Five rush ended and she fell asleep. Sleeping was something that was impossible during this movie. I saw it in IMAX and the constant destruction made for an awesome Transformers-esque headache.
   The acting was pretty bad, including one scene where Paul Walker asks Vin Diesel's character about what his father was like. It led to a minute and a half monologue of Vin discussing BBQ on Sundays after church that was hilarious. This movie has pretty bad acting and there were about six scenes where the Paul Walker/Vin Diesel combo should have died but managed not to.
 
Receives a 643/1000 on the Chazney Scale of Film.




The Tree of Life-
   This movie sucks. Brad Pitt stars as a crappy father that was such a jerk that I am refusing to look up his name. Sean Penn is supposed to be Jesus or something and he is in the movie for five minutes. In all seriousness, this movie was just boring and was way too artsy fartsy for me. It went into a half-hour National Geographic expo that included dinosaurs and the creation of the world. Summer movies are about stuff blowing up and fun, not this garbage. It also did not help that this movie is like 14 hours long. Warning: Do not see this  movie unless you are a film nerd or someone who just wants to die.

Receives a 6/1000 on the Chazney Scale of Film.




Bad Teacher-
    I should have known what I was getting myself into with this one. Cameron Diaz plays a real bad teacher! Shocking!
   She smokes weed, she drinks and she cares about nothing until she comes across Justin Timberlake's character named Scott, who is a sub at the school. Then she is intrigued by him and proceeds to battle another teacher for his love the entire movie.
   This movie included blackmail, drug use and a really stupid Timberlake/Diaz dry humping scene that really just made me want to leave the theater.

Receives a 334/1000 on the Chazney Scale of Film.


MOVIES I WANT TO SEE NEXT:







  Another Earth-
    It is rare that I get chills when I watch the trailer for any movie. Another Earth's trailer is chill city. I really hope that the expectations I have set are met because this movie is a limited release, meaning I might have to drive as far as Atlanta to see it. But I will definitely see it.
   Note: I saw this trailer the night I went to see The Tree of Life. This was the only good thing that happened in that theater.




Crazy Stupid Love
   This movies reeks of romantic comedy but I am still super interested. Freaking all-star lineup with Carell, Gosling and Bacon and it could be epic. Julianne Moore seems to be playing the same exact character she did in The Kids Are Alright (2010), expect she is straight now. Emma Stone is a total hottie too. This cast feels unfair compared to other movies, I would not be surprised if they had hired the Yankees management to cast the film. Could be awesome or could be terrible, either way I am finding out.


Part 2 will include X-Men: First Class, Horrible Bosses, Crazy Stupid Love and Another Earth. 


Chad Underwood writes for Chad's Sportsworld and is a former editor-in-chief of Thompson High School's "TribeUne" newspaper. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment